If you’d like to enjoy your Easter Eggs without the chemicals in the store bought kits there are alternatives found in nature. Choose your favorite colors, follow the instructions below and safely enjoy the eggs for yourself and your family. Happy Easter!!
Purple = 1½ cup shredded red beets
Rust = 7 yellow onion skins
Royal Blue = 2 cups of blueberry juice
Green = 2 cups spinach
Brown = 2 cups brewed coffee (do not dilute with water)
- Bring 2 cups water to a rolling boil.
- Add coloring agent.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or longer for the deepest color.
- Strain liquid into a large mason jar, and allow to cool to room temperature, 2-3 hours.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons white vinegar and add 3 hard-boiled eggs.
- Seal the jar, and refrigerate overnight or until the egg is the desired color.
- Rub dried eggs with a dab of vegetable oil to give them a shinier finish (optional).